Bathroom leak - what to do?

Question from Lisa updated on 18th May 2012:

The landlord had someone from Energy Smart come around to assess the insulation in the house. While he was under the house he noticed a large leak coming from the bathroom area and told as to inform the landlord, which we did. We have not heard back from the landlord and are wondering if they have to repair this or at very least send a plumber to assess whether it is an issue with drainage, hot water or cold water? I assume they would have to fix drainage due to health and safety and hot water due to the fact we are paying for the power. Is this correct?

Our expert Juliet Robinson responded:

Under the Residential Tenancies Act your landlord has a responsibility to maintain the house in a safe and habitable condition. I suggest you give your landlord a call and ask when he is going to have the leak fixed. If you get no acceptable response or if he doesn’t do anything about the leak, give him a 14 day Notice to Remedy. If he doesn’t fix it within that period, you can apply to the Tenancy Tribunal for an order that the landlord repair the leak immediately. That order may even include (if appropriate) an award to you in reimbursement of electricity costs and any other loss you can establish as a result of his failure to maintain the property.

Quinovic's outstanding people and systems provide the most professional, effective and reliable residential property management service in the NZ market for over 22 years.

Search the Ask an Expert archive

Browse all questions in the Ask An Expert Archive »

Site by PHP Developer