What are my rights reagrding my landlord's conduct?

Question from lisa updated on 31st October 2008:

Should my landlord 'highly recommend' I pay an extra month of rent when I receive my income tax refund? He has also suggested how I should raise my kids and asked who is visiting me? I believe that this is wrong, what should I do about my landlord? What are my rights in this situation?

Our expert Jeff Montgomery responded:

As a tenant you can expect to enjoy the premises without interruption by the landlord. The landlord must not interfere with your reasonable peace, comfort or privacy during the tenancy. If you feel that the recommendations and suggestions your landlord has made breach your peace, comfort and privacy in the property then I recommend that you tell him this in writing. You should explain that you would prefer not to discuss those matters with him unless they actually affect your tenancy. You may also wish to discuss your concerns with him directly. You can also contact the Department of Building and Housing on 0800 TENANCY (0800 836 262) from Monday to Friday between 8.00 am and 5.30 pm for further advice and information about your right to peace comfort and privacy and other tenancy issues.

The Department of Building and Housing provides information and guidance on building law and compliance, services including weathertight homes, and advice for tenants and landlords.

Search the Ask an Expert archive

Browse all questions in the Ask An Expert Archive »

Site by PHP Developer