Terminating property manager's contract

Question from Parvez updated on 7th July 2017:

I have terminated my contract with a property manager as he was dishonest. It has come to my attention that he approached my tenant, told him the rent will increase to a very high amount and asked him to terminate the rental contract. What legal action can I take against him?

Our expert Bernard Parker responded:

If you feel your property manager has failed to perform his duties under your contract, then the proper venue for hearing your complaint is the Disputes Tribunal. In preparing your application you will need to say what loss he has caused you, if any. Given that you have already terminated the management contract, you will probably need to establish that you have incurred a loss as a result of the property manager’s actions.

Bernard is principal of Quinovic – Kapiti-Mana. Quinovic's outstanding people and systems provide the most professional, effective and reliable residential property management service in the NZ market for over 30 years.

Search the Ask an Expert archive

Browse all questions in the Ask An Expert Archive »

Site by PHP Developer