Building activity picks up pace
Friday 30 November 2012
The number of new houses consented for in October was the highest of any month in more than four years, Statistics New Zealand said.
Consents were issued for 1639 new houses, a number not reached since May 2008. Consents were also issued for 168 new apartments.
Industry and labour statistics manager Blair Cardno said: “When we compare these figures with the same time last year, the number of new houses in October increased 32%.”
Westpac said increasing activity in residential and non-residential construction work was likely to account for an increasing share of GDP growth over the next year.
There was a 6% rise in building consents in Auckland for the month but consents fell in Canterbury.
Statistics New Zealand identified $25 million of quake-related residential consents in the month.
Comments from our readers
No comments yet
Sign In / Register to add your comment
Doors are closing for Auckland buyers with less than $500,000, according to new Trade Me Property data.
New, more targeted regulations for earthquake-prone buildings are a win for commercial property owners and businesses.
The Reserve Bank has cut the OCR to 3.25% today. Here is what the governor Graeme Wheeler said.